Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Form follows function

So much for daily writing. I really need a routine or formula so I will have something to get me started.
Today's Ahas - I'm not the only teacher having a rough year this year. Though actually I knew that, but it is nice to be reminded. It's not just me.
Today's regret - I have been hard on the class in order to get them under control. Some of the kids are really sweet and deserve better. (some need to be strung up by their thumbs I regret not being harder on those guys and gals).
Today's accomplishment - I took a babystep in being a little better organized in class. I also got some stuff done just in time. I finished a craft project. Actually it is one I'm rather proud of cause I came up with the idea all on my little own...... (the embarrasing side is that the idea flashed into my mind just before taking the sacrament at church. You'll see the conflict of interest...) It is a little orange plaque with the wording; The Reason for the Season. Below are 3 mini black clothespin clips holding small pieces of Halloween candy. I also decorated the plaque with black squiggles and a spider w/web in the corner. (there are also a couple little orange and black jewels on it.) I love it's quirky reference to the Christmas saying. It is designed to be a broach - though it is a little large.
The clothes pins are a little unstable and I'm not totally happy with the wood and paint I used. I will have to keep my eye out for other supplies to improve the design for next year. I wanted clips so that the candy can be eaten and then replaced next year for rewearing. I made one for each 1st grade teacher, so I will give it to them probably tomorrow. I am rather pleased with coming up with the idea on my own. So many times I see terrific cute ideas and wonder why I couldn't come up with it. (brainstorm - I could use miniature library clips/ clamps or whatever they are called. They could be attached by rings to the plaque. I'll have to play with that. I wonder if there is a Jewelry frame I could use instead of the wooden plaque. Something metal looking would be terrific. I'll keep thinking on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment